9 Steps to Create a DIY Clean Yoga Mat Solution
A clean yoga mat can help you exercise better by improving your mood. When you practice yoga, you’re likely to sweat a lot. And when that sweat drips onto your mat, it can lead to bacterial growth and unwanted odors.
It’s worth taking the time to clean the yoga mat briefly after every practice, as well as to give it a deep clean every month or so. Cleaning removes the buildup of dirt and sweat on your mat, which can keep your mat grippy and extend its life.
In this article, we’ll show you how to clean a yoga mat but before that, let’s explore why a clean yoga mat is essential.
Clean Yoga Mat: Why is it important?
To help avoid germs and nasty mat smells, properly clean your mat regularly. Cleaning your yoga mat is particularly important if you’re practicing at a yoga studio where you share mats or props with others. The same rules still apply to your at-home practice, even if there’s a lower risk of cross-contamination.
There’s nothing worse than picking up another person’s germs, and we already know that we transfer more germs to other people than we realize and that our hands and mouths carry more germs than we realize. You can get all kinds of unpleasant illnesses like cold, cough, fever, etc.
Remember that cleaning doesn’t kill germs, but it does remove them, along with dirt and impurities, from a surface. To kill germs and help prevent the spread of infection, consider disinfecting and deep cleaning your mat, as well.
How often should I clean my yoga mat?
After every practice, wipe down your yoga mat briefly with a store-bought mat cleaner or a homemade cleaning solution. Once a month, give your yoga mat a deep cleaning to get rid of the gunk that builds up over time. We’ll go over the details below.
Whether you have a thick mat or a thin one, it’s a good idea to wipe down your mat after each practice. Consider using a DIY yoga mat cleaner after each course. Mixing your cleaner is easy to do with products you likely have around the house.
Bring a bottle of cleaner and a clean towel to your practice. Spray the cleaner on your towel, then use circular motions to clean your mat’s entire surface. Make sure to wipe both sides down before you roll up your mat at the end of practice.
Note: Before you pick a cleaner, check your mat’s care instructions. Some brands don’t recommend vinegar-based solutions, for example, while others discourage high concentrations of essential oils.
DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner
The following do-it-yourself clean yoga mat solution recipe includes vinegar and essential oils (optional). Be sure to check your yoga mat’s care instructions before cleaning it with either ingredient. Vinegar is not suitable for some mats, while some may become slippery if you use too much essential oil in your cleaning mix.
What you’ll need:
- Spray bottle
- White vinegar or witch hazel
- Optional: Essential oils
- Mix vinegar or witch hazel with water at a 1-to-4 ratio in your spray bottle. This means you’ll need one cup of vinegar for every four cups of water.
- If you’d like your spray to be lightly scented, add two to four drops of essential oil into the bottle. Consider tea tree oil, which has been shown to have some antimicrobial properties. Other popular options include scented oils like lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, or orange.
- Cap your bottle, then shake lightly to combine.
- Lay your mat out on a flat surface and spray all over with the cleaning mixture. Spray more cleaner onto your mat than you think you’ll need, as it’s likely to soak into the material.
- Using a clean towel, rub the cleaner into the mat in circular motions.
- Allow your mat to dry unfurled, then flip it over to clean the other side in the same manner.
- If possible, leave your mat to hang dry over the back of a chair or a porch railing for 12 hours.
- Once your mat is dry to the touch, roll it up tightly and store it until needed.
- If you use your yoga mat often, consider using your DIY mat cleaner after each practice. You may also want to give your mat a deeper clean every month.
Shoe Mo Deep Cleaning Service
Yoga Mat Cleaner from Shoe Mo is a highly concentrated, non-toxic spray cleaner designed specifically to clean yoga mats. The cleaner will disinfect and keep your mat clean to protect you from germs or bacteria that may remain on your mat after use.
Clean and revitalize your yoga mat with Shoe Mo; it’s a cleaning solution that will leave your mat feeling fresh and looking great.
What To Expect: This cleaner is not only practical but acts fast. Its anti-microbial properties aid in removing unwanted odors and contaminants left behind by previous users and older equipment. From the first application, expect to notice a drastic difference in how clean and fresh your mat feels with this spray.
ShoeMo provides professional mat cleaning services to businesses, locations, and families. We provide on-site service seven days a week, so your yoga mats are kept in pristine condition all the time. Book your appointment today on our website or contact us through Whatsapp at +673 7373 123 for any inquiries.